Thursday, September 20, 2012

Renewal begins October 1, 2102 for New York HUT

Beginning October 1, 2012 the renewal period begins for the New York State imposed a highway use tax (HUT) on motor carriers operating certain motor vehicles on New York State public highways (excluding toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway). The tax is based on mileage traveled on NYS public highways and is computed at a rate determined by the weight of the motor vehicle and the method that you choose to report the tax.  

Vehicle registration requirements
You must obtain a certificate of registration for each vehicle subject to HUT. There are two types:
  • A HUT certificate of registration is required for any truck, tractor, or other self-propelled vehicle with a gross weight over 18,000 pounds. (If you elect to use the unloaded weight method to file your returns, a certificate is required for any truck with an unloaded weight over 8,000 pounds and any tractor with an unloaded weight over 4,000 pounds.)
  • An automotive fuel carrier (AFC) certificate of registration is required for any truck, trailer, or semi-trailer transporting automotive fuel. (The same gross weight and unloaded weight rules apply.)

You are also required to file your quarterly highway use tax return.  The quarters are based on calendar quarters, so September will mark the end of the 3rd Quarter and the deadline to file is October 31, 2012.

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can get or renew your NY HUT certificate of registration and file your 3rd Quarter highway use tax return for you.  TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way. For more details contact us at or call 803.386.0320.

No comments:

Post a Comment