Friday, May 30, 2014

What is an EIN?

An EIN, or Employer Identification Number, is a nine-digit number that IRS assigns in the following format: XX-XXXXXXX. The IRS uses the number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business tax returns. EINs are used by employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, non-profit associations, trusts, estates of decedents, government agencies, certain individuals, and other business entities. Use your EIN on all of the items that you send to the IRS and the Social Security Administration (SSA). An EIN is for use in connection with your business activities only. Do not use your EIN in place of your social security number (SSN).

What to do if you lose or misplace your EIN
If you previously applied for and received an EIN for your business, but have since misplaced it, try any or all of the following actions to locate the number:
  • Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN. This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
  • If you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
  • Find a previously filed tax return for your existing entity (if you have filed a return) for which you have your lost or misplaced EIN.  Your previously filed return should be notated with your EIN.
  • Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is  authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

How to Cancel EIN or Close Account
The IRS cannot cancel your EIN. Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise.

If you receive an EIN but later determine you do not need the number (the new business never started up, for example), the IRS can close your business account.

To close your business account, send a letter that includes the complete legal name of the entity, the EIN, the business address and the reason you wish to close your account. Include a copy of the EIN Assignment Notice that was issued when your EIN was assigned, if you have it and send to:

Internal Revenue Service
Cincinnati, Ohio 45999

Read More »

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

ATTN Commercial Drivers

As of May 21, 2014 all new USDOT physicals for commercial drivers must be performed by Certified Medical Examiners. The FMCSA physical examination is required to help ensure that a person is medically qualified to safely operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). In the interest of public safety, CMV drivers are held to higher physical, mental and emotional standards than passenger car drivers.These physicals are required at least every two years to obtain a valid medical certificate, maintain their CDL and legally operate a commercial motor vehicle. Carriers who have a current medical certificate, are not required to obtain a physical through a certified medical examiner until the expiration shown on their current medical card.

FMCSA developed the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners program as part of the agency’s commitment to enhancing the medical oversight of interstate drivers, and preventing commercial vehicle-related crashes, injuries, and fatalities. Currently there are approximately 22,000 listed on the National Registry with another 27,000 that have begun the certification process. To learn more, visit

To find out more information see the full news release from the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Read More »

Friday, May 23, 2014

Are you Ready for Roadcheck 2014?

From June 3, 2014 - June 5, 2014, an estimated 10,000 CVSA-certified local, state, provincial and federal inspectors will perform truck and bus inspections at over 2,000 locations across the US, Canada and Mexico during Roadcheck 2014. The main purpose of Roadcheck is to increase compliance with safety regulations and traffic laws to reduce crashes and save lives. During Roadcheck, three times as many inspections are conducted per day than on a normal day.

So what can drivers expect for Roadcheck 2014? The focus for Roadcheck 2014 is on hazardous materials (HM) inspections and HM safety compliance, but all other types of vehicles and cargo are also subject to inspections.

Inspections include a full visible vehicle inspection, including the vehicle’s underside.  Driver credentials, including log books, supporting documents, CDL, Bills of lading, medical cards, IFTA, IRP among other required documents may also be inspected.

For more information regarding Roadcheck 2014 see the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s May 14th webinar.
Read More »

Friday, May 16, 2014

Hazmat Carrier Registration Filing Period Open

If you are a person that offers for transportation or transports in commerce a shipment containing hazardous materials, including hazardous wastes, you are required to to file a registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation and to pay an annual registration fee. This program is administered by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).  The registration period runs from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.

Penalties For Failure To Register: The requirement to register is based on the federal hazmat law. The enforcement of this requirement is conducted cooperatively by federal, state, and local agencies. Federal, state, or local officials may impose penalties for failing to register or failing to meet the recordkeeping requirements.

Copies of the registration statement and the certificate of registration must be kept for three years at your principal place of business and must be available for inspection. Motor carriers and vessel operators must also have on board a copy of the current certificate of registration, or another document bearing the current year’s registration number identified as the “U.S. DOT Hazmat Reg. No.” Every truck or truck tractor or vessel you use for the transportation of a hazardous material that meets the registration criteria must have this proof of registration on board.

The Hazardous Material Registration Statement is due no later than June 30, 2014. You can apply online, by mail or contact Truck Services of North America.  As a premier processing agency, TSNAmerica can file your HazMat Renewal for you.
Read More »