Thursday, December 19, 2013

How To Obtain Broker Authority

A company that arranges for the truck transportation of cargo belonging to others, utilizing for-hire carriers to provide the actual truck transportation, but does not assume responsibility for the cargo and does not take possession of the cargo is considered a broker and is required to obtain Broker Authority.

Brokers must register with FMCSA by filing a Form OP-1, Application for Motor Property Carrier and Broker Authority.  The broker must also file a bond or trust fund agreement in the amount of $75,000 and a BOC-3 Form, Designation of Process Agent.

The processing time takes approximately 4-6 weeks, depending on how quickly the BOC-3 Form & surety bond/trust fund are filed with the FMCSA.

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can obtain your Broker Authority for you. TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way. Check out all our services at and fill out the Service Request Form, email us at or call 803.386.0320.

No comments:

Post a Comment