Thursday, September 24, 2015

3rd Quarter Filing Starts October 1!

No, you aren’t reading the title wrong - IFTA season is almost here again! We know it feels like the 2nd quarter just ended, but now the 3rd quarter is almost in the books, too. So don’t put off filing and leave yourself with a giant IFTA mess at the last minute. Give us a call and let us sort it out for you; that’s what we’re here for!

IFTA Filing

3rd Quarter IFTA filing officially opens up next Thursday, October 1 - and the deadline to file your return is October 31, 2015. If you prepare yourself now, you can avoid rushing around at the last minute. Also note that if you have a valid IFTA license, you must file a quarterly return even if you didn’t operate in a member jurisdiction during the 3rd quarter.

To file you’ll need to have your:

Mileage Log- Whether you use manual trip sheets, a GPS, or electronic trip sheets; you’ll need to have your mileage handy to file your quarterly IFTA return. It’s also necessary in case you ever face an audit from your base jurisdiction. (If you do you’ll thank us.)

Fuel Receipts- You will need to know the total amount/type of fuel purchased in each state.

Once you have all your mileage and fuel purchase information ready, and it’s separated by state, just send it on over to us and we’ll get your filing taken care of for you!

Other 3rd Quarter Taxes Due in October

And as many of you know, along with IFTA filing season comes the filing season for several other state-specific use taxes including:

Kentucky Use Tax (KYU)- Kentucky requires all commercial vehicles with a gross weight of 60,000 pounds or more traveling either into or through Kentucky to be registered with the state. Once registered, drivers will receive a KYU number and are then required to file a quarterly return and pay mileage taxes to the state of Kentucky. If you are only traveling through the state for one particular trip, temporary permits can also be obtained.

New Mexico Weight Distance Tax- All commercial vehicles with a gross weight over 26,000 pounds are required to be registered with the state before traveling in or through New Mexico. If you are not already registered, entrance can be paid at the port. Once a weight distance account has been established for you in New Mexico, you are then required to file quarterly reports and pay tax on the mileage you travel.

New York Highway Use Tax (NYHUT)- New York requires carriers operating motor vehicles that weigh 18,000 lbs or more to register and obtain New York Heavy Vehicle Use Tax credentials. Once you have an NYHUT account established, you must then file and pay mileage tax every quarter.

If you operate in any of these states and you don’t have temporary trip permits, you’ll need to file. The filing period for all of these special-use taxes opens next Thursday, October 1, 2015, along with the IFTA filing period.

So once again, and we cannot stress this enough, DO NOT wait until the last minute! Why would you when you can just call up your friends at TSNAmerica and have us do it for you?

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can assist with your IFTA, NY HUT, KYU, and New Mexico Use Taxes. TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way, so you can get back to your busy day. You can view a full list of our services here, but feel free to call us at 803.386.0320 or email us at with any other questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment