Friday, January 22, 2016

How to Obtain the Proper Permits: Trip, Fuel, HazMat, and More!

So you just got a call from your dispatcher, and now you’ve got to take a load somewhere you’ve never been. Somewhere far away, a magical place, filled with luscious fields and amber waves of grain. Sound familiar?

OK, so it’s probably not quite that glamorous. But what if you’re going somewhere you’ve never traveled before and you don’t have the proper authority? Well if you are, we can assure you it’s going to be the opposite of glamorous. That is, unless you enjoy paying fines to the government! But not to worry, we’ve got the perfect solution to keep you on the road legally, no matter where you're going or what type of load you’re hauling -- so take a look!

Temporary Trip Permit:

To travel anywhere interstate without your IRP credentials you’ll need to secure a temporary trip permit. These permits allow you to travel legally without having your IRP registration. Convenient, right? And just so you know, If you’re using one of these to travel, you’ll need to get it before you actually enter the jurisdiction -- so don’t wait until the last minute!

Temporary Fuel Permit:

So a trip permit allows you to travel without being registered under IRP, but what about IFTA!? Don’t worry, there’s a permit for that too. Just get a temporary fuel permit and you'll be able to travel interstate without registering under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). But just like with trip permits, you’ll want (and need) to have these taken care of and purchased before actually entering the jurisdiction.

Hunter’s Permit:

If you’re currently wondering what the heck a Hunter’s permit is, you may have also heard/seen it referred to as an Unladen Permit. These permits are used for leased owner operators that were forced to turn in their IRP plates and decals after the lease with their carrier is terminated.

HM Safety Permit:

Now that we’ve covered fuel and trip permits, what about those of you carrying loads with hazardous materials? Well, there’s a permit for that, too. Anyone carrying dangerous or hazardous substances (you know, like toxic, radioactive, or combustible materials) will need to renew this Hazardous Materials Safety Permit every two years (biennially).

PHMSA Permit:

In addition to the HazMat safety permit, HazMat carriers must also get a PHMSA permit, also known as a HazMat Certification of Registration. All carriers transporting hazardous materials must obtain this permit, and the exact type of permit you need depends on the specific material you’ll be transporting. This permit, however, has to be filed every year, and the registration year conveniently (or inconveniently, depending on how you see it) runs just like the HVUT tax year, from July 1-June 30 the following year. But unlike HVUT, and unfortunately for you, if you register mid year there is no prorated amount -- you’ll have to pay your registration in full.

Harvest Permit:

If you just finished your harvest and are going to start transporting heavier loads, then the harvest permit is for you! This permit allows you to temporarily increase your gross vehicle weight without having to do it permanently, saving you money if you’re only transporting heavier loads during harvest season -- hence the name!

No comments:

Post a Comment