Monday, November 12, 2012

What is a USDOT Number?

Companies that operate commercial vehicles in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number. Interstate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation involving the crossing of a State boundary. Intrastate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation within a single State.

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company's safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.

The following states require a DOT Number, even for intrastate and non-motor carrier registrants: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

If you already have a USDOT Number and it is Registrant-Only, you should have received a letter from the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) notifying you that your USDOT Number will become inactive on or about October 13, 2012 unless you responded due to the elimination of those types of USDOT Numbers.
For more information check out :

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can assist you in obtaining your USDOT Number.  TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way. For more details contact us at or call 803.386.0320.

No comments:

Post a Comment