Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween Deadline Reminders: IFTA, NY HUT & More

NY HUT, KYU, and IFTA, Oh my! We don’t mean to give you a fright…

This is just a friendly reminder from the witches and warlocks of TSNAmerica, giving you a much-deserved treat instead of a trick.

All of these quarterly filings coming due on Halloween is enough to make any trucker howl with fright!

So we thought we’d take the dead out of deadline by quickly recapping what’s due this Friday, Oct. 31st and who needs to file.


  • Oct. 31st is the due date for 3rd quarter IFTA filings. 
  • Commercial carriers are required to register with the International Fuel Tax Agreement if the vehicle travels interstate in the US & Canada AND if the vehicle weighs over 26,000 pounds or has three or more axles. 
  • IFTA registrants must keep thorough records (including original receipts) of all fuel purchases, fuel use per jurisdiction, and mileage traveled in each jurisdiction. Keep all original documents for at least three years after filing. 
  • To avoid an IFTA audit, be sure to avoid these common errors when preparing your return! Gaps in mileage, skewed MPG–all are red flags for IFTA auditors.
  • TSNAmerica can help you prepare your IFTA return! Call us at 803.386.0320. for details. 
*Note: IFTA does not cover road taxes, weight-mile taxes, or any other state-specific requirements. If you are based in or travel through one of the states listed below, you may be required to register and submit quarterly returns for that tax.


  • The New York Highway Use Tax applies to vehicles with a gross weight exceeding 18,000 pounds travelling on NY public highways.
  • Trucks with an unloaded weight over 8,000 lbs. and unloaded trailers weighing over 4,000 lbs. are also required to file the quarterly NY HUT. 
  • The tax is filed quarterly and based on the gross weight of the vehicle AND the number of miles traveled on NY highways. Miles traveled on certain toll-paid portions of the NY State Thruway will not be taxed.
  • A trip permit may be used in place of NY HUT registration, but no more than 10 trip permits can be used in a year.

New Mexico Weight-Distance

  • Like the NY HUT, the New Mexico weight-distance tax is based on the weight of the vehicle and the number of miles traveled on New Mexico roads. 
  • Heavy vehicles exceeding a 26,000 lb. gross weight are required to register and file a quarterly return. The tax rate is graduated, increasing with the weight of the vehicle.
  • A new permit must be obtained each year and displayed on the vehicle. 
  • Unlike IFTA, this New Mexico tax applies to both interstate and intrastate commercial vehicles. 


  • The Kentucky Highway Use Tax is required for interstate vehicles with a combined licensed weight of 60,000 lbs. and above. Before filing the quarterly tax, you must obtain a KYU license number. 
  • Licensed agricultural vehicles and buses are excluded from this tax.
  • The tax is based on the number of miles traveled on Kentucky roads.
  • Intrastate only vehicles have separate requirements under the Kentucky Intrastate License Tax. This is a fuel tax levied on vehicles exceeding 26,000 lbs or having three or more axles.

In addition to these four deadlines, don’t forget the 4th quarter International Fuel Tax Agreement and Unified Carrier Registration renewal due dates coming up December 31st.

But don’t let taxes or registrations ruin your holiday season! By calling Truck Services of North America, you’re not only ensuring that it’s filed correctly, you’re freeing up more time to spend with friends and family. And you can’t put a price on that.

Give us a call today at 803.386.0320. or email us at for assistance with your paperwork. And have a very candy-filled Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment