Wednesday, May 13, 2015

HazMat Certificate Registration Period Now Open

Along with the hustle and bustle of HVUT renewal season comes the registration deadline for vehicles transporting hazardous materials. Just like filing your 2290, it’s not wise to wait until the last minute to register, or you could subject yourself to late penalties and fines.

The HazMat Certificate registration period for the upcoming year began May 1, 2015, and runs until June 30, 2015.

For those unfamiliar with the registration process or that need a slight refresher, we have highlighted everything you need to know about applying for a Hazmat Certificate of Registration.

Why Do I Need to Register?

The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration requires anyone that offers transportation of shipments containing hazardous materials, including hazardous waste, to file a registration statement with the Department of Transportation in addition to paying an annual fee. This is required for the transport of any hazardous material requiring a US DOT placard, which includes oil, petroleum, and propane.

Registration for the upcoming year is due by June 30th, but please note that partial years are still required to pay the entire filing fee. Therefore, if you already registered in May, your registration will need to be renewed again before July 1st.

How to Register

Registration to transport hazardous materials can be applied for online through the PHMSA website or by mail. The fees for registration vary as small businesses and nonprofit organizations get significantly lower rates than large businesses.

Several different categories of hazardous materials have been created by PHMSA, and each requires a different certificate and a unique placard displayed on the vehicle.

If you’re unsure which placards are required for your operation, contact TSNAmerica, and we can help you determine what’s right for your business.

Recordkeeping Requirements

After obtaining the proper registration, it is necessary to follow PHMSA regulations, which require that registration be kept on file at a company’s place of business for three years and available for inspection.

Moreover, every truck or tractor used in the transportation of hazardous materials is required to keep a copy of the current registration on board. Truckers are also given the option to instead keep a document with the current year’s registration number.


Penalties can be levied on those that fail to register or to comply with recordkeeping requirements by either the local, state, or federal government. If a roadside inspection or DOT audit shows that a truck is not properly registered, the owner of the truck can:

  • Be fined up to $32,000 per day of violation. 
  • Lose their interstate or intrastate operating authority. 
To avoid penalties, be sure that all of your trucks are properly registered today. To check on the registration status of any of your trucks you can visit the PHMSA company registration search.

If you need help with your HazMat registration, or even with your HM Safety Permit, give Truck Services of North America a call at 803.386.0320, or fill out a service request form. As a premier processing agency, we will take care of the registration process for you in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment