Tuesday, June 30, 2015

2nd Quarter Filing: Available Now!

Well July is nearly underway, and along with the warm weather comes the beginning of both HVUT season and the 2nd quarter filing deadline. Trying to remember what needs to be done can be a daunting task, but luckily for you, Truck Services of North America is here.

Below you’ll find everything you need to know about the 2nd quarter deadline, and how we can help!

What Do I Need to File?

For the quarter that just ended, there are several use taxes that are due before the quarter’s filing deadline including:

  • NY Highway Use Tax- All vehicles with a gross taxable weight of over 18,000 lbs must file quarterly based on the amount of miles traveled on New York highways during the period. If you only travel through New York on occasion, a temporary trip permit can be obtained, although you cannot use more than 10 temporary permits per year. If you need help acquiring one of these permits, give us a call!
  • Oregon Highway Use Tax- Oregon requires all vehicles with a gross taxable weight over 26,000 lbs to pay a weight-mile tax for the amount of mileage traveled on Oregon roads. The higher the weight of the truck, the higher the tax paid per mile is. Vehicles in Oregon also must pay a bond for their vehicle to the Department of Transportation as a guarantee of payment of fees and taxes.
  • New Mexico Highway Use Tax- All vehicles with a gross taxable weight of over 26,000 lbs must file quarterly based on the number of miles traveled on New Mexico roads. Each year, companies that operate in New Mexico must obtain a New Mexico Weight Distance Tax Permit for each vehicle that travels on public roads. The tax amount for vehicles varies, as it is graduated and increases as the weight of the vehicle increases. 
  • Kentucky Highway Use Tax- The Kentucky highway use tax is determined by the mileage traveled by each heavy truck within the state of Kentucky. The tax is only for vehicles with a taxable gross weight of over 60,000 lbs. (Except for buses and vehicles with farm licenses) Before you can file this tax, you also must have a tax license in Kentucky with a valid KYU number. 
  • IFTA Fuel Tax- The lower 48 states and Canadian provinces are all subject to the International Fuel Tax Agreement. The agreement requires all motor carriers that operate in more than one jurisdiction file a quarterly fuel tax report with the mileage traveled and fuel purchased in each state. This helps ensure that the taxes collected are redistributed to the state where the tax is due. 
In addition to the second quarter ending, July 1 is also the beginning of the HVUT renewal season. While there may be a lot going on during the month of July, be sure you don’t forget to file!

When Do I Have to File?

The quarterly deadline for IFTA taxes and weight-mile taxes is on July 31. HVUT season is also underway, and although this tax period runs during the same time as the others, you have until August 31 to file Form 2290 for an HVUT return.

If you were thinking that you’ll just wait until the last minute to get everything done then think again. The longer you wait, the less time you leave yourself in the event of a mistake, and you are more likely to subject yourself to excess fees and late penalties. If you don’t feel like filing or don’t think you’ll be able to find the time to get everything done by the end of the month, then luckily for you, there’s TSNAmerica. We can file your 2290 over the phone with a short 5-minute call!

Let TSNA Help

Between having to file a plethora of things every year, some annually and others quarterly, we know it can be a confusing mess. That’s why at Truck Services of North America we are always up-to-date on the latest trucking regulations. Not only can we answer your questions but we can also help you take care of permit registration, tax filing, and more. All it takes is a quick phone call! You can reach us by phone at 803.386.0320 or you can email us at

No comments:

Post a Comment