Thursday, July 19, 2012

Starting a New Trucking Company

Starting your own trucking company requires preparation and planning because the trucking business is one of the most regulated industries in the country. The process can be complicated and takes much time and patience due to the many requirements and regulations.

Once you have taken the initial steps, like deciding on your business name and the legal entity, obtaining your CDL license, truck and trailer; securing the funds to obtain the necessary registrations, licenses, permits, etc., then you will need to get your business registered in your state.  The process varies from state to state.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has strict regulations mandated for New Entrants in the trucking industry, and prospective company owners need to stay compliant with the rules governing the industry. Truck Services of North America will handle working with the state and federal agencies to ensure you submit the necessary information. As a premier full service provider, TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way so you can focus on the road.

You will need an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Federal ID Number. If you don't have one, you can apply for online at or call TSNA and we’ll take care of it for you.

Step 1: Start process for FMCSA Authority

    1. Obtain USDOT Number
    2. Complete and submit application form(s) to FMCSA
·  Also referred to as Interstate Operating Authority, an "MC," "FF," or "MX" number
    3. Begin New Entrant Safety Assurance Program
    4. Obtain permanent USDOT registration
·  All first-time carrier applicants will be automatically enrolled in the FMCSA New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. New entrants are required to pass a safety audit and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month period before they are given permanent registration status.
    5. Maintain USDOT Number and Operating Authority information

Step 2:  Application for IFTA fuel permits

Step 3:  Complete State Notification/Registrations Applications.

Step 4:  Obtain Insurance and file with FMCSA (and any state that 
requires Insurance filed)

Step 5:  Apply for Process Agents

Step 6:  Verify insurance is on file and all permits are in place

Step 7:  Once FMCSA Authority is granted, apply for Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Generally, this process will take about 10 days to 2 weeks to complete, but it may vary depending how quickly the necessary information is provided and the response time from the federal/state agencies. We have New Entrant Packages or we can customize one to suit your specific needs.

For more information give us a call today at 803.386.0320 and let take the paperwork out of your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment