Friday, July 20, 2012

What is an EIN (Employer Identification Number)?

An EIN is an Employer Identification Number, also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to verify a business entity.  If you are filing Form 2290 for Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT), you will also need an EIN to file the return. The IRS will no longer accept Social Security Numbers for the Form 2290.

If you do not have an EIN, you can apply for one online through the IRS website or if you don’t have the time or unable to get to a computer, you can have a service provider, like Truck Services of North America to do it for you.

Please note that if you obtain a new EIN it takes approximately 10 business days for the EIN to become active within the IRS' e-file system, so if you do not have an EIN and will need to file Form 2290, you will not want to wait until the last minute to get yours. If you do not have your EIN, give TSNA a call at 803.386.0320 and we’ll take care of it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment