Monday, April 15, 2013

2013 IFTA, NY HUT & KYU 1st Quarter Filing Deadline Approaching!

The 1st Quarter Filing Period for IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement), KYU (Kentucky Use Tax), New Mexico Weight Distance Tax, NY HUT (New York Highway Use Tax) and Oregon Weight-Mile Tax is now open. We want to remind you that the deadline for filing is April 30, 2013 and we encourage you not to wait until the last minute to file.

IFTA is the International Fuel Tax Agreement between the 48 contiguous States and 10 Canadian Provinces, where the member jurisdictions act cooperatively to administer and collect motor fuel use taxes.

The purpose of IFTA is to establish and maintain the concept of one fuel use license and one administering base jurisdiction for each license holder (licensee). Under IFTA, you only have to report to one state and the state allocate the fuel tax payments.  For more details see

We are halfway through the filing period for 1st quarter.  The fuel taxes are due quarterly and April 30th is the deadline for the 1st quarter. (January, February, March).

What you need to file:
  • Mileage log 
  • Fuel Receipts
  • Any IFTA correspondences pertaining to your account (if applicable) 
Late Filing or Not Filing could result in the following:
  • IFTA filing (late fee) plus interest (if applicable) 
  • Possible suspension of IFTA license 
  • Possibility of having IRP/Apportioned Plate account affected
  • Citation from DOT if caught operating on a delinquent and or suspending IFTA license 
  • Threat of having your entire transport operation shut down 
The IFTA filing process may be vary slightly depending on your base jurisdiction state.  

New York Highway Use Tax (NYHUT) 
  • Carriers operating certain commercial motor vehicles that weigh 18,000 lbs or greater in New York are required to register and obtain NYHUT tax credentials. Once a NYHUT account has been established, carriers must file and pay mileage tax on a quarterly basis.  
Kentucky Use Tax (KYU Number)
  • All commercial motor vehicles (except buses) with a gross weight of 60,000 lbs and over traveling into or through Kentucky must be registered with the state. Carriers with an active KYU Number are then required to file a quarterly return and pay mileage taxes to Kentucky. New qualifying vehicles must be listed with Kentucky prior to the vehicle entering the state. Temporary permits are also available. 
New Mexico Weight Distance Tax 
  • All commercial motor vehicles with a gross weight in excess of 26,000 lbs. must be registered with the state before traveling into or through New Mexico. Entrance can be paid at the port if not registered; however, it is not cost effective to pay at the port unless you travel through New Mexico only once or twice per year. Once a Weight Distance Tax account in New Mexico is established quarterly reports must be filed and mileage tax paid.
Oregon Weight-Mile Tax 
  • All commercial carriers with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,001 lbs. must obtain a temporary or annual permit to travel into or through Oregon. Oregon does not belong to the International Fuel Tax Agreement; however, a proper tax permit must be obtained before entering this state. Heavy fines are imposed on carriers entering into Oregon without the proper credentials. 
  • Oregon requires all new entrants to become bonded before permanent credential are issued. Bonds may be placed by a Surety Company or posted with cash. The size of your fleet will determine the amount of the bond required.
If you are new and not sure what to do or would rather not have to take the time to file your IFTA, NY HUT or KYU contact Truck Services of North America today. If you would like us to take care your IFTA, we will need copies of your mileage logs and fuel receipts into our office by April 20th, to ensure the paperwork is processed by the April 30, 2013 deadline.

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can assist with your IFTA,  NY HUT, KYU, New Mexico and Oregon Weight Distance Taxes.  TSNA takes the paperwork out of you.  Check out all our services at and fill out the Service Request Form, email us at or call 803.386.0320.

No comments:

Post a Comment