Thursday, July 30, 2015

What's Due: July 31 Tax Deadlines

That’s right truckers, the deadline is upon us, and there’s only 2 days left to file your taxes before facing fees and late penalties. In addition to your IFTA returns being due, special use taxes for the states of New York, New Mexico, and Kentucky are also due before the end of the day on July 31.

If you haven’t already filed, you’re not late yet, but you will be if you don’t get a move on! If you don’t like the stress that comes with the tax deadline, give us a call today and let us take the tax-filing burden off your shoulders with a simple phone call.

Below we’ve listed all the taxes that are due before the July 31 deadline:


IFTA stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement, and it is necessary to file if you operate in a participating jurisdiction. All 48 contiguous states participate in IFTA (with the exception of Oregon), as well as some Canadian provinces. The 2nd quarter ended on June 30, and you have until the July 31 deadline to get that return filed.

If your vehicle weighs over 26,000 pounds, or has over three axles, you will be required to file a quarterly return. Even if you didn’t operate during the quarter, if you have an IFTA license you will need to file.

New Mexico Weight-Mile Tax:

New Mexico weight-mile tax is a special use tax for all heavy vehicles that operate in the state of New Mexico. The tax must be paid on all vehicles that weigh over 26,000 pounds. However, the tax is graduated, so the amount of tax paid increases as the weight of the vehicle increases.

In order to operate in New Mexico and pay the state’s weight mile taxes, companies must obtain a New Mexico Weight Distance tax permit for each vehicle.

Kentucky Highway Use Tax:

Kentucky highway use tax is another special tax that is determined based on the amount of mileage traveled by heavy trucks within the state of Kentucky.

All vehicles that have a taxable gross weight over 60,000 pounds must file (although buses and farm-licensed vehicles are an exception). To file, you will first need to obtain a tax license from the state, and you will be given a KYU number that you will use to file under.

New York Highway Use Tax:

New York highway use tax is a special tax for all heavy vehicles that operate in the state of New York, excluding mileage traveled on toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway. The tax must be filed by all vehicles that have a gross taxable weight over 18,000 pounds, and by all unloaded trucks over 8,000 pounds or tractors over 4,000 pounds.

If you only travel through New York on occasion, you may obtain a temporary trip permit to avoid having to file and pay for the highway use tax. However, you can only obtain a maximum of 10 trip permits per year so be sure to use them wisely!

At TSNAmerica, we understand that with all these tax deadlines at the same time, it can be difficult to get filed on time, especially if you’re running a bit behind. That’s why we make it simple by preparing and filing quarterly returns for you. Give us a call today at 803.386.0320, or email us at, and let us take the paperwork out of your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment