Friday, October 23, 2015

Use Tax Deadline Reminder: New Mexico, Kentucky, and New York

We know, we know—you’ve had about enough of tax deadlines. But despite the fact that you’ve been diligently working on (hopefully, anyway) getting your IFTA returns filed, if you operate in the states of New Mexico, Kentucky, or New York, you’ve got yet another filing deadline lurking at the end of the month.

Tax Deadlines

If you’re not quite sure what we’re talking about, we’re referring to each state’s special highway use tax deadline! If you operate in any of the three states listed above, you must pay these taxes in addition to filing your IFTA return. Here’s a list of the states that have a highway use tax deadline coming up on November 2.

New Mexico: As those of you that operate in New Mexico already know, the New Mexico Weight-Mile Tax is a special use tax paid on vehicles that weigh over 26,000 pounds. But luckily for you, the tax is graduated, so the less your vehicle weighs, the lower the tax rate.

If you only operate in New Mexico on a rare occasion, you can always obtain a temporary trip permit from your friends at TSNAmerica to avoid dealing with the hassles of getting a weight-mile permit!
Kentucky: All drivers that operate a vehicle with a gross weight over 60,000 pounds (with the exception of agricultural vehicles) must file a return to pay Kentucky Highway Use Tax. The tax, just like the other states with a special use tax, is determined based on the mileage driven on Kentucky public highways and interstates.

Note: In order to file your Kentucky Highway Use Tax, you must first obtain a tax license from the state, and then you’ll be given a KYU tax number to file under.

New York: All drivers that operate heavy vehicles in New York must file and pay New York Highway Use Tax. Only drivers operating vehicles that weigh 18,000 pounds or more loaded or 8,000 pounds or more unloaded are required to pay this tax, and mileage driven on toll-roads is not taxable.

For those drivers that only drive through New York on occasion, you aren’t required to pay this tax as long as you obtain the proper temporary trip permits required by the state of New York. If you don’t know what these are and you’re going to be headed into New York soon, temporary trip permits are the best and least expensive route for travel. How can you get one? Great question. Just give us a call and we’ll get you taken care of!

How Can I File?

How do you think? With us of course! Just give us a call at 803.386.0320 and your use taxes will disappear! Well, not literally, but you sure won’t have to deal with them yourself. Sounds nice right? Well, it is—so what are you waiting for?

And remember, if you’re having trouble with your IFTA return that’s due at the end of the month, we can help with that, too! Just give us a call. Now you’re probably thinking to yourself, “wow these people really do it all.” And if you are then you’d be right because yes, yes we do. We look forward to hearing from you, Trucking Nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment