Monday, August 20, 2012

Missouri Highway Patrol Message to Farmers

With the current drought will have many farmers driving long distances and crossing state lines in order to purchase the hay, silage and grain they need to feed their livestock. Farmers need to be aware of the rules and regulations that apply to farm vehicles and the transportation of goods. Although the Missouri of Transportation has issued special waivers that address size and weight, farm vehicles may have to comply with the state and federal safety regulations depending on the distance traveled.

If a farm truck has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 10,001 lbs. or more and crosses state lines, it would be considered a commercial motor vehicle and would have to comply with federal regulations. A USDOT Number and the farm name must be displayed on the vehicle and the driver must be 21 years or older and possess a current medical card.

If the vehicle has a Gross Combined Weight of 26,000 lbs. and is operated more than 150 miles from the farm, a commercial driver’s license is necessary and is subject to the International Fuel Tax Agreement(IFTA). Temporary Fuel Permits may be purchased in lieu of an IFTA license.

Permits must be obtained from MoDOT if vehicle and load are over the normal size and weight requirements and you are traveling on an interstate. Log books must be kept if you operate more than 100 miles from the farm, for vehicles that are over 42,000 lbs.

It is important for farmer to be aware of the state and federal rules and regulations. For a complete list see:

No comments:

Post a Comment