Thursday, January 9, 2014

File 4th Quarter Highway Use Tax Returns Now

The filing period is now open for 4th Quarter Highway Use Tax.  Kentucky, New Mexico, New York & Oregon all require a use tax license if you operate in that state.  Each license requires a quarterly return must be filed, even if no miles were traveled in the state.  The 4th Quarter KYU, New Mexico Weight Distance & NY HUT Return filing deadline is January 31, 2014.  The 4th Quarter Oregon Weight Receipt Return filing deadline is February 28, 2014.

  • All commercial motor vehicles (except buses) with a gross weight of 60,000 lbs and over traveling into or through Kentucky must be registered with the state. Carriers with an active KYU Number are then required to file a quarterly return and pay mileage taxes to Kentucky. New qualifying vehicles must be listed with Kentucky prior to the vehicle entering the state. Temporary permits are also available.
  • All commercial motor vehicles with a gross weight in excess of 26,000 lbs. must be registered with the state before traveling into or through New Mexico. Entrance can be paid at the port if not registered; however, it is not cost effective to pay at the port unless you travel through New Mexico only once or twice per year. Once a Weight Distance Tax account in New Mexico is established quarterly reports must be filed and mileage tax paid.
  • Carriers operating certain commercial motor vehicles that weigh 18,000 lbs or greater in New York are required to register and obtain NYHUT tax credentials. Once a NYHUT account has been established, carriers must file and pay mileage tax on a quarterly basis.
  • All commercial carriers with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,001 lbs. must obtain a temporary or annual permit to travel into or through Oregon. Oregon does not belong to the International Fuel Tax Agreement; however, a proper tax permit must be obtained before entering this state. Heavy fines are imposed on carriers entering into Oregon without the proper credentials.
  • Oregon requires all new entrants to become bonded before permanent credentials are issued. Bonds may be placed by a Surety Company or posted with cash. The size of your fleet will determine the amount of the bond required.

As a premier processing agency, Truck Services of North America can assist with your KYU, New Mexico, NY HUT, and Oregon Weight Distance Taxes.  We also handle IFTA, (International Fuel Tax Returns). TSNA takes the paperwork out of your way.  Check out all our services at and fill out the Service Request Form, email us at or call 803.386.0320.

No comments:

Post a Comment